Applied for CERB but dont qualify?
Got two payments for CERB in one period?
Wondering how to return it to CRA?
Here are the steps:
1) Use CRA My Account starting May 11, 2020 to repay it
2) Mail a cheque to “Receiver General for Canada” and indicate that its for for “Repayment of CERB” for “eligibility period” along with your SIN to Revenue Processing – Repayment of CERB, Sudbury Tax Centre, 1050 Notre Dame Avenue, Sudbury ON P3A 0C3
Why repay CERB to Canada Revenue Agency?
You must repay the Canada Emergency Response Benefit if you no longer meet the eligibility requirements for the 4-week period in question. This could happen if:
- · you earned employment or self-employment income earlier than expected
- · you applied for the CERB but later realize you’re not eligible
- · you receive a CERB payment from both Service Canada and the CRA for the same period.
CERB is taxable or not?
A lot of the Canadians are wondering if the CERB is taxable or not. Short answer, YES!
You will receive a T4A tax slip for the amount of CERB you received this year. You must include this in income when filing taxes for period January – December 2020.
More information can be found on CRA’s website.